Sofia is a little girl with a commoner's background until her mother marries the King of her Kingdom and she suddenly becomes royalty. Sofia learns that looking like a princess isn’t all that hard, but behaving like one must come from the heart.
Sofia is a sweet, adorable and very beautiful young girl of humble origins who lives with her mother Miranda. Her father is absent for reasons unknown. She becomes royalty after her mother's remarriage. Being new to the entire princess legacy, Sofia attends the Royal Prep Academy where the fairies of Princess Aurora, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, teach her about what being a princess is all about.
Sofia is a young girl with luscious brown hair in a wavy style. She has large blue eyes and fair skin. Sofia's prominent princess gown has a lilac color and comes with a crystal tiara. Around her neck, she wears the royal family's amulet called the Amulet of Avalor, which allows her the power of talking to animals, and much more that has yet to be revealed.
Despite her cuteness and beauty, Sofia is rather clumsy but has a pure heart. Since she was originally a mere commoner, she retains a very carefree persona, and was once seen to enjoy sliding down the rails of the staircase. Her outcast-esque behavior often puts her at wits with her stepsister Amber who's apparently jealous of Sofia.
Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess
In the film that acted as the pilot for Sofia, the young girl's story was told beginning where she became a princess. The film also shows her first days in the palace, meeting famous Disney Princesses such as Cinderella. A notable event to occurred was Sofia's amulet, the Amulet of Avalor. The amulet contains powerful magic that allows Sofia to speak to animals and the power to bring fellow Disney Princesses to her aid. The amulet was also on the wish list for the villainous sorcerer Cedric, who secretly plotted to rule the kingdom using the magic of the amulet.
Sofia the First (TV Series)
She is the titlular character in this series.
- Despite being a princess and being directly affiliated with Disney Princesses in her show, Sofia will not join the official line up, possibly because she is too young and is probably closer in age to characters like Melody and Alice, instead of Aurora and Jasmine.
- She has two stepsiblings named Amber and James.
- She screams like a banshee.
- On a press tour, executive producer Jamie Mitchell said, "She is Latina" after one reporter asked about Sofia's mother's darker skin. This makes Sofia Disney's first Latina princess to appear in an animation project. But recent articles on Sofia's heritage says that she is "not" Latina, but of a mixed-heritage, with her mother hailing from the Kingdom of Galdiz (loosely based on Spain) and her father hailing from a kingdom based on Scandinavia.
- She was unable to dance, but learned how to later in the special.
- Similar to Cinderella, she has a rags-to-riches story, and has a stepsister who once is antagonistic, but became softer in the climax. Unlike with Cinderella, Sofia's stepsister is born a princess.
- Similar to Jasmine and Rapunzel, Sofia resides along with the antagonist.
- Similar to Snow White and Aurora, she has animal friends.
- Her hardwork of learning to be a princess is similar to Tiana's hard work.
- Her spunkiness and curiosity is similarly compared to Ariel.
- Her decision to race in the flying horse-race that has always been done by princes and never by princesses is similar to Mulan when she joined the Imperial Army of China, where it is a crime for a woman to pretend to be a man.
- She is similar to Blair from Mattel's Barbie Princess Charm School, both are named Sofia at birth, and both are princesses. Sofia's hairstyle is also similar to Blair's princess hairstyle.
- Sofia is the first princess official and non official to have a stepfather rather than the typical stepmother. Plus her stepparent isn't wicked.